Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Banana Bread

I make a lot of bread and desserts but have not posted very many because we gave up desserts for Lent. Now that Lent is over, we are on an Easter feast! This banana bread is breakfast, snack, and dessert. It makes one large loaf pan, so we did not have to freeze any.
My mom made this recipe when we were kids. I like it because it is very moist and I find most banana bread to be dry. It also has a streusel topping which adds a dessert-like quality.
This is a great comfort food!
I start by mashing my bananas in my stand mixer:


You'll notice this recipe calls for a small bit of oil. While I am not usually a gadget kind of baker, I really like this liquid measuring cup. (My Mom gave this to me for Christmas and she got a lot of slack for giving me a shot glass but she insisted it was a liquid measuring cup.) No matter what you call it, it comes in very handy!
It is imperative that you do not over-mix quick breads as they can become tough. Once you combine all ingredients in the mixer be sure to mix only until combined. It will look something like this:

Remember I said this has streusel? I love streusel! It is super easy to make and makes an ordinary dessert or bread outstanding!



Ready for the oven!


Banana Bread copied from my Mom's old Betty Crocker cookbook 
2 ½ c. flour                                                                            1 c. sugar
3 ½ t. baking powder                                                            1 t. salt
3 T. oil                                                                                   ¾ c. milk
1 egg                                                                                     1 c. finely chopped nuts
1 c. mashed bananas (2-3)
Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.  Measure all ingredients into large mixer bowl;  beat on medium speed ½ minute, scraping bowl constantly.  Pour into pan.                  TOPPING:
¼ c. brown sugar
¼ t. cinnamon
1 T. melted butter
1 – 2 T. flour
Mix together and sprinkle on top of batter before baking.

Bake 55 – 65 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Remove from pan; cool thoroughly before slicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment