Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Homemade Hummus


I have a confession to make. I am addicted to hummus. I cannot get enough of it and in the past 3-4 years I have perfected my recipe.
Think of hummus as a dip. You take chickpeas or garbanzo beans and add other things to them until you have a creamy mixture that is perfect as a dip or sauce. The real benefit is that hummus is quite good for you.
It is good for you, but I make and eat at least a batch of hummus a week which may be in excess. Lucky for me, Bryan does not love it and certainly does not want to eat it weekly like I do, so I get the pleasure of eating all of it on my own!
For me, vegetables are best with hummus. I can eat all of the daily recommended servings of vegetables as long as there is hummus as a dip! Without hummus I rarely get all of the vegetables needed in a day into my diet.
I must warn you that my hummus is American-ized and is not entirely authentic. I am sure that I do not use enough olive oil and occasionally add things like dry ranch mix to change the hummus up a bit. I encourage you to experiment and make it as you like!
Hummus
1 can garbanzo beans or chickpeas, drained, reserving 2 Tbsp of the liquid
1 Tbsp Tahini (this is sesame seed paste) you might find it by the olive oil or peanut butter
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 Tbsp. liquid from the garbanzo beans
 Add the above ingredients and combine in a food processor. Drizzle in approx. 4 Tbsp. olive oil as the hummus is processing in the food processor. Process for 3-4 minutes or until smooth.
The Tahini will store in your cupboard for approximately a year. It separates, but just stir it all together and use it until it is gone. You can see it in the container - there is liquid on the top and solid on the bottom:


When you combine it, it looks like this:


 It comes in a larger container (probably 16 oz but when you only use 1 Tbsp at a time you may want to share it with your friends/family/neighbors).
To make this more authentic add more olive oil and more tahini – at least double of both.
I generally eat hummus with carrots and broccoli, but I also eat it combined with tuna or just on pita bread or crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment