Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Pancakes

I am lame. I was awake for more than half of the night last night thinking about the things I wanted to post in the coming days. You would think that would mean that I would post an in-depth, complicated, difficult recipe today, but all of my energy is gone so tonight we dined on pancakes and sausage.
The recipe came from The Milk Free Kitchen, one of my go-to recipe books as I have an allergy to dairy. When I first found out I was allergic to dairy I decided I would ignore it and go on with my life. That did not work so well so my Mom came to my rescue and made me go shopping to look for dairy-free alternatives. My husband got me the cookbook and between the two I slowly started to embrace my new found cooking challenge and slightly limited diet. I am happy to report that the alternatives are not bad and that I can make almost anything dairy free. 99% of the things I make are based on dairy-filled recipes so I modify when I am cooking but I will post the regular recipe here for the masses of blessed dairy indulging readers J
This is one of the few dairy free recipes I have and follow to a “T” but I promise you will not miss it in the recipe (and you are lucky because you can use real butter to top the pancakes)! As a matter of fact, my sister and brother-in-law make it as their go-to pancake recipe.
Pancakes
1 c. flour                                               3 Tbsp. sugar
2 ¼ tsp. baking powder                 1 Tbsp. cornmeal
¼ tsp. salt                                            2 ½ Tbsp. margarine
¾ c. water                                           1 egg    
Heat a frying pan and melt the margarine in it. Tip the pan from side to side to grease it well all over. Pour out the melted margarine into a mixing bowl. Add the water and egg and mix well. Add in the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Like muffins, it is possible to over stir pancakes, so stir as little as possible.

Cook the pancakes on the stove top. Once they bubble, they are ready to flip and only take a few minutes after they are flipped.

I have little coordination so I make these smaller than you would get in a restaurant.
I eat these with peanut butter but they are of course good with syrup or your favorite topping.

3 comments:

  1. Tiff, this blog is awesome! I can't wait to try the pancake recipe, they are one of my favorite breakfast and breakfast for dinner item!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look yummy! Also, I completely forgot about your dairy allergy. I need to come up with some non-dairy items for game night! :)

    I'm really impressed that you've posted 3 days in a row so far. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's true, my husband and I make these pancakes nearly every week. Our 16 mo. old son LOVES them, and they can even be made without the egg for those with children under a year old and told to stay away from eggs until the first birthday.

    ReplyDelete