Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2011

Cornmeal Rolls

There is an unwritten rule in our house – that the oven is not turned on when it is hot outside. I had to make an exception today because I have been craving these fluffy, soft, rolls and I was afraid that if I did not make them now I might not get to make them until September or October. Plus, since I made the rule I feel like I can break it, right?
My family has been making these Cornmeal Rolls for almost two decades. The source of the recipe is unknown, but I believe it came from Taste of Home. I decided to make them with whole wheat flour so I included 1 ½ c. whole wheat flour and 2 ½ c. white flour instead of the usual 4 c. white flour. They are still very good, and I will make them like this again.
Cornmeal Rolls
1/3 c. cornmeal                                                
½ c. sugar
2 t. salt                                                                                 
½ c. shortening (oil)
2 c. milk                                                                               
1 pkg. or 1 T. active dry yeast
¼ c. warm water (110 – 120 degrees)                     
2 beaten eggs
4 c. flour
Cook cornmeal, sugar, salt, oil and milk in microwave or saucepan until thick (like cooked cereal).  Cool to 110-120 degrees. 

Add yeast which has been dissolved in warm water, then eggs.  Beat thoroughly.  Add flour to form soft dough.  Place in bowl; cover; let rise. 


Punch down.  Roll out to 1 inch thickness; cut with 2 ½ inch biscuit cutter. 


Brush with melted butter; dust with cornmeal.  Place on greased cookie sheet; cover; let rise.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.  (Dough will keep in refrigerator for several days.)


I love these with homemade jam but they are also great with tuna salad or other cold meat.

I will freeze these into small portions so we can get them out of the freezer and eat when we would like.

1 comment:

  1. These are truly delicious! I believe you made them for a 4-H project and I think they got to go to the IOWA STATE FAIR and got a blue ribbon there! You inspire me!
    KG

    ReplyDelete