Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Tuna Salad


I love to spend time in the kitchen and honestly, the more complicated and time consuming the recipe, the better! Reality and my dreams are not congruent, as I do not always have time to make a glamorous and nutritious meal while life goes on around me (and I am sure that I am not alone in this feeling).
Therefore, one of my goals with this blog is to try to find or make up some fast recipes for weeknight meals. I can already tell this will require some creativity on my part as the only fast meals I know are also a bit dull. I think we all can benefit, so let me know if you have suggestions or things you make that are fast, tasty, and nutritious.
Our recent fast meal proves that I have some work to do as it was very common/plain. Actually, it was plain and tasty – so I succeeded in at least one aspect!
Advance preparation helped make this a quick supper as I served the tuna salad on the cornmeal rolls I made earlier this week (which are oh-so good!) In addition, I boiled two eggs this morning while I was getting ready to go to work and put them as well as a can of tuna in the fridge so that we could eat cold tuna salad sandwiches tonight. You see, I have an aversion to room-temperature tuna. I like my protein either hot or cold. Period.
To a can of drained, water packed tuna, I added:
 2 chopped hard boiled eggs
1/8 c. chopped onions
¼ tsp. garlic salt
¼ tsp pepper
1 tsp. lime juice
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
I planned to eat this 4 times, (supper for Bryan and I and then lunch for Bryan and I) but we were hungry and ate it all in one sitting J.  
I had some frozen vegetables in the refrigerator so I steamed those and drizzled some balsamic vinaigrette and chopped dried cherries for garnish. I don’t love vegetables; actually, I don’t even like them. As a matter of fact, I asked my dad if I could be a meat-atarian when I was a child! Alas, I know that I need them so I eat them. As I was eating and wishing I had fresh vegetables instead I decided that I am embracing summer and all of its bounty so I will not buy frozen vegetables.
At least for awhile.
At least until I get in a rush and go for the fast, easy option.


1 comment:

  1. I was doing some farmer's market research the other day to find all the different markets in the area. Between our garden and the farmers markets, I'm hoping to avoid buying any frozen/canned/store bought veggies as much as possible this summer!

    ReplyDelete